Abdominoplasty and Tummy Tuck Benefits & Risks Philadelphia
Beyond the Surface – How Surgery Affects You
The vast majority of patients are extremely happy following their tummy tucks. The surgery completely changes the entire midsection or belly area, ending embarrassment and improving self-esteem. There are, however, certain emotional and physical stresses that come with any surgery, and we are happy to prepare you and discuss them openly.
When it comes to the benefits and risks of the abdominoplasty or tummy tuck cosmetic procedure, Joseph A. Rabson, M.D. urges his Philadelphia patients to thoughtfully consider every issue. In other words, a trusted surgeon at the Advanced Cosmetic Surgery & Laser Center is here to weigh each and every implication of the surgery with you. At the end of the day, a happy and healthy you is the priority!
Tummy Tuck Benefits, Inside & Out
The benefits of having your tummy "tucked" are numerous. Following surgery, many patients tell Dr. Rabson how they find it so much easier to exercise and how much better they look when they are exercising!
- Slimmer midsection: The tummy tuck can target the protruding belly. A successful surgery leads to a flatter, tighter, more contoured-looking stomach area. Naturally, this means you will likely end up with a tinier waist too. The results can often be quite dramatic and we encourage you to look at our before and after photographs of this procedure on our web site or in the office.
- Loose skin: Pregnancy, weight loss, and aging itself can cause the loose skin that you may be eager to say good-bye to. The tummy tuck surgery removes such excess skin, and may take care of the certain pockets of fat that liposuction cannot correct. Exercise is healthy and may be part of an entire program to lose general body weight. However, exercise will never tighten loose skin or reduce fat in one location. It is impossible to "spot reduce."
- Stretch marks: Women especially are all too aware of the potential nuisance of stretch marks, especially those that develop below the navel. By performing the tummy tuck, Dr. Rabson may remove the stretch marks or scars in the abdomen area along with excess skin.
- A firmer, smoother midsection: Tummy tuck patients can look more in shape. When you feel your midsection, you will notice that the targeted area is more firm to the touch, and that your stomach has smoother feeling curves.
- A healthier you: Your overall health may improve from undergoing tummy tuck surgery. The procedure can rid patients of large folds of sagging skin that are potentially infected with fungus or bacteria; as a result, the tummy tuck is particularly popular with bariatric patients, who typically suffer from sores and rashes. Following surgery, you should be able to more thoroughly enjoy exercising, such as running and swimming.
- Tighter muscles: The muscles in your abdomen wall may start to separate from aging or pregnancy, something known as laxity. This can cause reduced muscle strength, also making the area seem as though it is sagging. The tummy tuck addresses this issue by repairing the muscles directly and making them tighter. This is called plication.
Tummy Tuck Risks
Like any major surgery, the tummy tuck (also known as abdominoplasty) poses risks as well as benefits for patients in Philadelphia and Montgomery County. Risk factors are discussed thoroughly during the consultation process
Complications may include:
- Aspiration pneumonia
- Blood clots
- Prolonged healing time
- Unfavorable drug reactions
In detail, Dr. Rabson will carefully go over all other complications with you, such as possible adverse reactions to anesthesia or pain medication.
Are you interested in learning more about the risks and benefits of tummy tuck surgery? In the greater Philadelphia and suburban area, a premiere surgeon can provide the important answers you need. Contact Dr. Rabson to set up an appointment at our intimate facilities, situated conveniently for Montgomery County and Philadelphia residents in Plymouth Meeting, at the top of the Blue Route and near Route 202.
back to top